Click on the thumbnail to get a full sized version in a new window
On Saturday, 13th August 2022, from 10am to 4pm, we held a special celebration to mark the Centenary of a continuous history of an Amateur Radio Club in Gloucester.
Photos above by Gary M0XAC and those below by Brian G4CIB
We know that the club can trace its history back over a hundred years, because:
- in 1921, the Wireless Society of Gloucester petitioned the postmaster general for telegraphy facilities
- on 21st March 1926, the Gloucester Wireless Club was formed
- in the 1950's, the name was changed to the Gloucester Amateur Radio Society and we were affiliated to the Radio Society of Great Britain
- on 13th January 1997, the current name was adopted to broaden the Society's perspecive and cater for those interested in electronics in addition to those purely interested in amateur radio.
Activities of the day included:
- Club station GX4AYM on the air on 40m and 2m.
- Archive of club photos and memorabilia (thanks to G4CIB)
- A Heathkit equipment display
- A display of transceivers and other rigs dating back to the 1970s and 1980s
- Lunch and refreshments.
We also have photos from...